A note from Penny on why we choose to offer E-File Training...
"I was trained to file (both hand and electric), in a time when E-Files (or 'Drills' as they were more commonly called) were available, but not great quality. As a result, I'm a bit of a purest - I'm quicker at hand filing and I don't agree with people training in E-FIling as a way to avoid having to perfect their hand filing skills. I've owned and used an E-File for 10 years but I really only use it to thin out enhancements and dip Manicures before removal.
And so, for awhile, I refused to offer E-File Training. I wanted our students to hand file first and foremost. BUT - what upsets me is when those students then go and choose a 1-Hour Efile 'Course' and start E-Filing with only an hours training. That to me is a MUCH worse outcome.
Therefore, in mid-2017 myself and my Educators upskilled our existing E-File knowledge with advanced training and put together this beginner workshop with the help of Katey Laurenson, who has been teaching E-File skills for years.
This course covers more than any other beginner workshop I'm aware of, with Monaco's trademark attention to detail and real-life examples thrown in for good measure."
What will I learn?
- What to look for when choosing an E-File and the Bits to go with it
- The difference between common bit materials, shapes and grits
- How to address concerns about E-File safety
- Using an E-File to remove Gel Polish from both enhancements and the natural nail
- Using an E-File to remove enhancement lifting and prepare for backfills
- Using an E-File to prepare the cuticle area for application
- Using an E-File to reduce the length of an enhancement
- Using an E-File to contour/surface file a new enhancement
- Using an E-File to clean natural nail from under an enhancement
- Using an E-File to rebalance a French enhancement
- Using an E-File during an Acrylic Removal service
- The pros and cons of using an E-File over a manual hand file for each of the techniques we teach you
- How to clean, disinfect and maintain your machine and bits
What should I bring?
- At least three acrylic nails on yourself, applied at least 1 week prior to training. Please make sure they are long enough that the length can be reduced with an E-File without causing any issue and that they have Gel Polish over them.
- Your own E-File. This one here is our favourite but Kupa, Young Nails and Max Estrada manufacture great E-Files too. For a good E-File, expect to pay between $400-1200 but for training, as long as an E-File is 30,000 rpm, light weight, vibration free and doesn't have a bulky hand piece you will be in safe hands. The 220V version (for New Zealand powder supplies) of this E-File meets all requirements without breaking the bank and is a suitable E-File to learn with or until you decide whether using an E-File is right for you.
- We will be teaching with the E-File Bits listed below, and you will need to bring your own. We've linked to recommended brands in case your E-File doesn't come with these specific bits. Prices vary between $20-$50 per bit and it IS important that you have all pieces - the Mini Sciver is the only optional bit. You will be working with a buddy though so potentially you could pre-arrange to team up with someone that has the bits that you don't -
- If you consider yourself advanced and you are doing an Atwood order you may also want to get a Mini Sciver - we won't teach this as an official part of the class but if you bring one of these we can teach you how to do your cuticle prep with it.
- If you are sensitive to dust and other allergens, please be aware that E-Filing creates more dust than hand filing and that dust is lighter and therefore stays in the air longer than hand-filing dust. We don't yet have dust extraction units installed in our tables but supply ample towels and aprons to allow you to swap throughout the day to minimise dust exposure, as well as supplying nitrile gloves if you need these too. We have a heat pump and ceiling extraction for air flow meaning we don't need to open windows (a breeze would keep the dust from settling). You can wear long sleeves and provide your own mask to further reduce exposure if you wish but please make sure the mask is suitable for this activity - cheap masks may actually trap fumes that would otherwise be extracted, and keep them close to your face.
We will supply all other product as well as tea and coffee throughout the day. You do not need to bring your kit.
There will be an hour for lunch around 12.30pm. There is a cafe within walking distance or many food options a short drive away on Lunn Ave. There is also a fridge on site if you bring your own lunch.
Do I get a certificate?
You will do, yes! A certificate will be given to you on the day,
How do I sign up?
Easy! Click on the Enrol button above or email firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest with one of our educators or ask any extra questions you have. You can also view our FAQs here.
Thank you so much for your enrolment.
Our Learning Coordinator will be in touch to confirm your place within 2 business days.
Acceptance of Enrolment is only confirmed once tuition fees are paid, either by Eftpos or Credit Card in person, or by bank transfer to Monaco Nail Artists Ltd, ASB 12 3233 0616846 00. Full payment is required 7 days prior to course commencement.